8u/11u repo access and Jira changes

Lindenmaier, Goetz goetz.lindenmaier at sap.com
Wed Feb 27 08:09:40 UTC 2019

Hi,

Two points to this lengthy mail thread ��

Rights to push to jdk11u:

I also see that there are a lot of people that may push to jdk11u,

which might be a problem. On the census page, there are 140

reviewers and 155 committers listed for the jdk-updates project.

But so far very few people actually pushed to jdk11u, so I don't

think it's a unbearable risk to keep general push rights.

The people in committer and reviewer roles have proven to

act responsible in this matter.

And it keeps things simple. After all, it is possible to backout

a change that was pushed wrongly.

If we make bad experience, we still can change the policy.

Merging to jdk11u-dev

> Then, I expect a few pushes to jdk8u/jdk11u and we'll tag these once in a

> while like jdk-11.0.3+1 etc. These tags will be integrated back to dev regularly

> (by those who set the tags, that is, the maintainers).

> At the release day, you'll sync your security work on top of jdk8u/jdk11u and

> add a final jdk-11.0.3+xx tag and the jdk-11.0.3-ga tag (which should point to

> the same change). And this will be integrated back to jdk11u-dev.

I think there should be one single person dedicated to do this job. It should

be someone that has backup to keep the job up if on vacation etc.

I (backed up by Christoph and the rest of the SAP team)  would volunteer to

 1. tag jdk11u on a weekly basis after running our tests (if there was a change)

2. merge the tag to jdk11u-dev and run tests on the merged repo

3. push the changes to jdk11u-dev the day after.

I would propose to tag the change that is built by our infrastructure on

the night Tuesday-Wednesday,  which is usually pulled on Tuesday 18:00 CET.

In the night Wednesday-Thursday, the tests would run on jdk11u-dev including

the changes merged from jdk11u.  Test results will pop up during the day (Thursday),

the merged changes could be pushed on Thursday evening or Friday morning.

Our testing currently covers the following:

We build the following platforms:

  Aix

 Linux ppc64

 Linux ppc64le

 Linux s390x

 Linux x86_64

  mac

 Solaris sparc

  Windows x86_64

  Windows x86_32

We finally got an aarch64 machine, we could add that to the tests.

We run the following tests every night:

  A big part of the jck tests (excluding those requiring  manual testing, and a list of shaky tests)

  The jck tests with -Xcomp and C1, and with -Xcomp and C2.

  The hotspot and jdk jtreg tests, excluding those marked with key "headful", "printer" and "intermittent"

  Jvm2008, jbb2015, jvm98

  And finally some SAP applications.

But I'm also fine with leaving this task to RedHat, Aleksey or Andrew Hughes or whoever

would be available on your side.

For the move jdk11u-dev-->jdk11u, which happens only once a release, we should

do this by communication on the mailing list.

Best regards,

  Goetz.