8u/11u repo access and Jira changes

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 09:46:14 UTC 2019

On 2/26/19 8:23 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:

> Speaking of large software projects, I think Linux gets it right:
> maintainers "pull" changes into upper repositories rather than
> technically allowing anyone from downstream to push on their
> own. For all the perfect people who are working on Linux, that is a
> saner approach for a responsible maintainer, in my mind.

OMG, I cannot find words adequate to tell you how much I hate that:
pull requests are the worst part of the GitHub process. Firstly, it is
far too much of a bottleneck. Better to distribute the workload, with
people testing and pushing their own patches. It also reinforces the
power and status of the high priesthood, leading to an unhealthy
culture of insiders and outsiders. Some of this is inevitable in that
we must not break stuff, of course, but I believe we should do
everything to break down those insider/outsider barriers short of
introducing extra risk. That's why things like automated testing
available to everyone are so good.

Individual responsibility FTW!

--
Andrew Haley