[jdk8u] RFR: 8322750: Test "api/java_awt/interactive/SystemTrayTests.html" failed because A blue ball icon is added outside of the system tray [v2]

Andrew John Hughes andrew at openjdk.org
Wed Mar 6 15:09:49 UTC 2024

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 06:04:23 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> This pull request contains a backport of commit [5a988a50](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/commit/5a988a5087d0afbb577c6715fd5e1e44564888cb) from the [openjdk/jdk](https://git.openjdk.org/jdk) repository.
>>
>> The commit being backported was authored by Alexander Zvegintsev on 15 Feb 2024 and was reviewed by Jayathirth D V, Alexander Zuev, Prasanta Sadhukhan and Phil Race.
>>
>> Backport is not clean, in jdk8u-dev the "sun.desktop" property is used to pass the "desktop name" from native, see
>> https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8212701.
>>
>> tck-red-8
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Sergey Bylokhov has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains three additional commits since the last revision:
>
>  - Merge branch 'openjdk:master' into JDK-8322750
>  - workaround absent of the 8212701 in jdk11u-dev
>  - Backport 5a988a5087d0afbb577c6715fd5e1e44564888cb

>From the bug:
~~~
Fix request (11u 8u)

Mostly clean backport. The patch is slightly adjusted due to the missing https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8212701 in 8u and 11u.
The fix was verified manually. no new issues were found by the jdk_desktop tests.
~~~
Would be good to keep everything in one place.

I do find it curious that this is a (critical) issue now. The change turns off the system tray support on GNOME < 45, which implies that is has been broken since GNOME 3 (which introduced gnome-shell that the test relies on) but that it is apparently fix in 45 and up. So it has been broken for years.