RFR [JEP 220] Modular Run-Time Images - compact profiles footprint

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Dec 4 17:11:19 UTC 2014

On 04/12/2014 16:38, Naoto Sato wrote:
> Quick question. Why is jdk.localedata module included in the compact
> profiles? The data there used to be in lib/ext/localedata.jar and
> lib/ext/cldrdata.jar which weren't included in those compact profiles.
>
> Naoto
The "profiles" make target on JDK 8 (and JDK 9 before yesterday) always
included localedata.jar in the images. I would expect this would be
pruned or removed before deploying to an embedded device of course, same
thing for the security providers that get included by default.

We've now moved to world where the runtime images are created from a set
of modules and this should give a lot of flexibility once. We're just
not there yet with locale data so we have to temporarily link in the big
jdk.localedata module so that the profiles images have all locales.

-Alan.