Proposed to Drop: JEP 198: Light-Weight JSON API

Alan Williamson alan at aw20.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 02:29:54 UTC 2014

Mark, i would love to understand your reasoning behind this move.

Java has always suffered from poor core support for popular formats.
It took a long time before XML came to the core language and while that
happened there was no real great alternative.

JSON is a little different I grant you, considering how strong and
popular Jackson/GSON/Mongo 3rd party libraries are.

However I believe JSON will be with the industry far longer than even
XML.   With its deep roots in JavaScript (which Java has entered that
game in a big way with Nashorn), JSON is the number one choice for web
services, data storage and generate NoSQL communications.

By not having an official answer for this format, is going to hurt Java
in the long run.

thanks

--
   http://alan.aw20.net/