[9] RFR(S): 8066433: Copy Whitebox testlibrary to top level repository

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Mon Dec 8 19:18:59 UTC 2014

2014/12/8 2:19 -0800, stefan.sarne at oracle.com:

> This would also be a good place to discuss the structure of the test
> library.

Yes.  The various "testlibrary" directories in different repos are, at
the moment, a bit of a mess and in some cases appear to be redundant.

For the present root-repo proposal:

  - Why is it named test/testlibrary rather than test/lib, which is
    what's used in the jdk repo?

  - Why does the white-box library get its own directory?  Shouldn't
    all test-library classes have the same package root?

  - The package name "sun.hotspot" is archaic.  We should figure out a
    proper naming scheme for test-library packages, preferably starting
    with "jdk.".

> Based on the discussion around microbenchmarks, it may make sense to
> break out the test folder to a separate repo if it starts growing.
> But again, perhaps this is something we can wait for and handle in the
> RFE. The test folder already exists in the top repo.

The jdk/test/lib directory has been around for many years now and only
contains 28 files.  It seems unlikely that the root-repo equivalent will
ever be much larger than that, so a separate repo would be overkill.

- Mark