8067442: Tests using -Xshare:dump does not work with 'make test'

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Tue Dec 16 09:50:35 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-16, David Holmes wrote:
> On 16/12/2014 1:20 AM, Erik Helin wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >this patch changes the dependency for the target `test` in make/Main.gmk
> >from exploded-image to jimages. This is needed because PRODUCT_HOME in
> >`make test` needs to be set to a full JDK image directory, because there
> >are tests in hotspot/test that uses -Xshare:dump and -Xshare:dump does
> >not work with an exploded jdk image.
>
> Is that something that should be fixed? What you are doing now seems a
> temporary workaround.

I am not familiar with the class data sharing (CDS) implementation, but
the failures all give the same error:

  Hint: enable -XX:+TraceClassPaths to diagnose the failure
  CDS allows only empty directories in archived classpaths

I don't know why CDS does not allow non-empty directories on the
archived classpath, maybe Ioi can answer that?

Anyhow, I believe that eventually enhancing CDS to allow non-empty
directories on the archived classpath is a separate patch. This patch is
about reversing the change that Erik did (see his reply for more
details) to make sure that we can run the tests.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Erik