Coming soon: JDK 9 Platform/Compiler upgrades at Oracle

Bradford Wetmore bradford.wetmore at oracle.com
Fri Oct 3 20:18:12 UTC 2014

Sorry for the wide distribution, but there is an important followup to a
message from June.  If you are not building on Solaris, you can skip this.

 > For JDK 9 we will upgrade the build platforms and compilers used at
 > Oracle to build the JDK.
 >
 > In this cycle, our target combinations are:
 > ...deleted...
 > - Solaris X86 - 11.1 / Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3
 > - Solaris SPARC - 11.1 / Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3

A recent change to a hotspot CC invocation now requires the new Solaris
Studio 12.3 compilers be found in your PATH/ when running "configure",
or else the hotspot build will fail:

Linking vm...
/java/devtools/i586/SUNWspro/SS12u3/bin/CC -m64 ... -Wl,-z,defs \
     -o libjvm.so ...lots of .so files and libraries...

changeset:   7135:5051bb01fa2b
user:        mgerdin
date:        Thu Sep 25 10:01:53 2014 +0200
summary:     8055141: Catch linker errors earlier in the JVM build by
not allowing unresolved externals

+  LFLAGS_VM                += -Wl,-z,defs

For Oracle folks, the usual tree has the new compilers under the SS12u3
directory.

WARNING, there is currently *no check* for this requirement in configure.

I know at least one other person who has run into this, so hopefully
this saves others some time.

Brad