Eclipse no longer working with 1.9.0-ea-b61

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu May 7 12:06:09 UTC 2015

On 07/05/2015 12:02, Andreas Kohn wrote:
> You can actually download the bundle via Eclipses' orbit repository:
> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/R20150124073747/repository/plugins/javax.xml_1.3.4.v201005080400.jar
>
> The description for this bundle at
> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/R20150124073747/
> says "Part of and required for Xerces 2.9.0. The bundle corresponds to
> the xml-apis.jar in the Xerces distribution.",
Thanks for the digging, I didn't have cycles to track down these
downloads myself.

I guess there must be some historical reason for shipping the XML APIs,
maybe it goes back to before JDK 1.4. That might explain the vintage
JAXP version too, assuming that version="1.3" on each of these packages
means JAXP 1.3. If you are in contact with the Eclipse folks then it
might be useful to point out that JSR 206 announced its end as a
standalone technology in the JAXP 1.6 update. Going forward then the
proposal is to subsume it into the platform JSR with Java SE 9 as the
first opportunity to do this. This doesn't impact anyone wanting to ship
their own XML parser implementation of course but the service provider
interfaces (improved in JAXP 1.6) is the way to do this rather than
trying to override the API classes.

> It "exports" these things:
> javax.xml;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.datatype;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.namespace;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.parsers;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.transform;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.transform.dom;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.transform.sax;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.transform.stream;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.validation;version="1.3",
> javax.xml.xpath;version="1.3",
> org.apache.xmlcommons;version="1.3.4",
> org.w3c.dom;version="3.0",
> org.w3c.dom.bootstrap;version="3.0",
> org.w3c.dom.css;version="2.0",
> org.w3c.dom.events;version="2.0",
> org.w3c.dom.html;version="2.0",
> org.w3c.dom.ls <http://w3c.dom.ls>;version="2.0",
> org.w3c.dom.ranges;version="2.0",
> org.w3c.dom.stylesheets;version="2.0",
> org.w3c.dom.traversal;version="2.0",
> org.w3c.dom.views;version="2.0",
> org.w3c.dom.xpath;version="3.0",
> org.xml.sax;version="2.0.2",
> org.xml.sax.ext;version="2.0.2",
> org.xml.sax.helpers;version="2.0.2"
>
> With that said I did a small experiment: remove all classes from the
> bundle, and only leave a (trimmed) META-INF/MANIFEST.MF. That didn't
> work, however just by additionally keeping the org.w3c.dom.css classes
> eclipse starts up again. :)
>
> $ jar xf ~/modules/eclipse/plugins/javax.xml_1.3.4.v201005080400.jar
> $ rm ~/modules/eclipse/plugins/javax.xml_1.3.4.v201005080400.jar
> $ # remove stuff from META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> $ jar cvmf META-INF/MANIFEST.MF-trimmed
> ~/modules/eclipse/plugins/javax.xml_1.3.4.v201005080400.jar about*
> license/ org/apache/ plugin.properties org/w3c/dom/css
>
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, will update the eclipse
> bug as well!

Good experiment. The org.w3c.dom.css is another one of the API packages
that weren't in the subset of the W3C API endorsed by Java SE.

-Alan.