JEPs proposed to target JDK 9 (2016/3/10)

Mikael Vidstedt mikael.vidstedt at oracle.com
Fri Mar 11 18:33:55 UTC 2016

On 3/11/2016 1:30 AM, Volker Simonis wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:51 PM,  <mark.reinhold at oracle.com> wrote:
>> The following JEPs have been placed into the "Proposed to Target"
>> state by their owners after discussion and review:
>>
>>    200: The Modular JDK
>>         http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/200
>>
>>    260: Encapsulate Most Internal APIs
>>         http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/260
>>
>>    261: Module System
>>         http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/261
>>
>>    275: Modular Java Application Packaging
>>         http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/275
>>
>>    282: jlink: The Java Linker
>>         http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/282
>>
>>    284: New HotSpot Build System
>>         http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/284
>>
>>    285: Spin-Wait Hints
>>         http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/285
>>
>> The following JEP has been placed into the "Proposed to Drop"
>> state by its owner:
>>
>>    230: Microbenchmark Suite
>>         http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/230
>>
> Is there any place where I can get information on why this has been
> placed into "Proposed to Drop" state? Is it just a time/resources
> problem for jdk9 or is the plan to completely withdraw JEP 230?

As you guessed this is a time/resource problem. Given that the JDK 9 FC
date is coming up fast we feel that it is not realistic to get the whole
project finished up and pushed in time. I do think and hope that this
can be picked up and targeted to an upcoming release instead, the sooner
the better.

Hope this helps,
Mikael