jmod request

Jonathan Gibbons Jonathan.Gibbons at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 15 15:31:07 PST 2009

Mark Reinhold wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:07:37 -0800
>> From: jonathan.gibbons at sun.com
>>

>> jmod is currently not friendly to being invoked directly from Java code.
>>

> Well, to be fair, it wasn't designed for that kind of use, though we can
> of course change that.
>

>> It would be nice to be able to avoid unnecessary execs when running jmod from
>> Java.  Here are some issues and corresponding suggestions:

> All good ideas, but ... why do you need to do this?  Does javac need
> to invoke jmod directly?  Is there some other use case?
>
> - Mark

My specific need was for a test program running under jtreg, but this
extends to any scripting being done in Java.  Even Ant support could be
hacked up if there was a friendly Java API that could be invoked in the
same JVM.  As it is, my samevm test program requires a couple of extra
JVMs to be started up, one for each jmod.   And, such such numbers start
adding up when you start running more tests.

-- Jon