Feature complete?

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Tue Dec 1 11:50:26 UTC 2015

According to the schedule, JDK 9 is meant to be feature complete in 9 days.
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/
Without casting any aspersions on the hard work going on, it seems to
me that Jigsaw is nowhere near feature complete.

A recent mail from David M. Lloyd to the spec mailing list raises
serious concerns about the current design, yet it has not been
answered by the Jigsaw team.
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-observers/2015-November/000225.html

Nor has there been much activity on the spec list in general:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-observers/2015-November/thread.html

I personally am far from convinced that the compatibility of JDK 9
with 8 is going to be good enough. Especially as it seems to me that
all libraries that use reflection are likely to be broken with 9,
something that will significantly hamper adoption.

Can we have a formal view on whether Jigsaw is considered "almost
complete"? To me, it looks like it needs a fair bit longer to bake.

Stephen