Round #1: RFR: 8049365 - Update JDI and JDWP for modules

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Dec 30 07:52:09 UTC 2015

On 28/12/2015 20:13, serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com wrote:

> It would be nice to get rid of this JVM TI capability.
> But my question is if new JVMTI functionality is mandatory for all
> VM's out there.
I think we need to look at aligning the next version of JVM TI with Java
SE 9 and if this makes sense then it would mean the capability isn't
needed. It also means that residual references to JDK 1.1 in the spec
can be dropped, I think these date back to JVMDI or JVMPI.

>> The JDWP agent uses JNI to upcall to Module::getClassLoader and
>> Module::canRead, we might consider adding JNI or JVM TI functions in
>> the future and avoid this.
>
> I was thinking about the same.
> My preference would be to add new JVM TI functions.
We can add these later, it's not critical to get these JDWP commands
working (as you've demonstrated).

-Alan.