Exporting - the wrong default?

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 14:37:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 07/26/2016 06:42 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> If the default does not change, then I assume the tools will
> effectively work around it. ie. that Maven will have an option to
> export all packages not explicitly hidden. Anything else would be far
> too annoying for development.
>
> Stephen
> PS, I would accept a design where developers could choose to use
> exports or restricts (but not both) in module-info.java.

What about adding support for automatic modules to javac ?

Currently if there is a directory in the -modulesourcepath that contains
sources but no module-info.java file, it is not treated as a module. If
it was treated as an automatic module (meaning that it would export all
packages and require all other modules), the development process could
be more easily bootstrapped. At some point in time when clear API of the
module is formed, the developer would just add the module-info.java to
it to describe the module in full...

Regards, Peter