Flag missing with "requires java.base"?

Paul Benedict pbenedict at apache.org
Tue Aug 2 17:12:46 UTC 2016

Correct me if wrong, but it seems there is no universal way to flag
something as compiler/tool generated. My take away from Alex's comments is
that ACC_SYNTHETIC is very much concerned with implicitness/explicitness...
but why? I still don't understand why it *must* be concerned anything like
that. I'd just like to state that definition sounds overloaded to me.

Furthermore, I think the definition of ACC_MANDATED is overloaded too. If
the JLS mandates a construct, it must be in the class file -- yet why does
the means matter? I prose the flag should mean no more than a mandate. It's
mandated so it must exist -- how it got there is irrelevant to me with
regard to this flag.

So doesn't anyone (Alex? Andrew?) find value in universally specifying
something was generated? That's what I thought ACC_SYNTHETIC could be used
for. If there is pushback on this idea, is there a universal way that I
have neglected to see?

Cheers,
Paul