JDK9 and Gradle modular quickstart

David Hill David.Hill at Oracle.com
Thu Aug 25 13:19:57 UTC 2016

Hi,
    I mentioned I was working on a modular compilation with Gradle 3 and JDK9. I have something to share now :-)

This adapted quickstart comprises a "module" of two classes, a test class, and a "shim" test class. (The shim is an adapter used for 'white box' style tests).

    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ddhill/module-quickstart.zip

The first half of the build.gradle is a README that explains a lot of my design constraints, and choices.

Gradle is really good at making the simple cases ... simple. Clearly they have a bit more to go to handle modules natively, but as my quickstart shows, it can be done now without too much extra effort.

I would be interested in any comments or suggestions on how I have solved this task. I plan on folding what I have found into the OpenJFX build.

Dave

--
David Hill<David.Hill at Oracle.com>
Java Embedded Development

"A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world."
-- George Santayana (1863 - 1952)