No jrt-fs.jar in JRE?

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Jul 5 06:47:15 UTC 2016

On 25/06/2016 06:07, Jayaprakash Arthanareeswaran wrote:

> :
>
> I just downloaded the latest JDK and found the modules file along with
> jmod/*.jmod. Is this to remain?
> My experiment to use the jrt-fs.jar from the JDK to load the system
> classes in JRE failed. May be I am not
> doing something right. Is that even supposed to work if I done the
> right way?

The .jmod files that you see in the JDK download are the packaged
modules. If you aren't doing anything with jlink then you should ignore
this directory.

I think your question is about the JRE download as it does not have
jrt-fs.jar and so cannot be targeted by a tool running on JDK 8 or JDK
9. This is JDK-8153079 [1] where the main question is whether the JRE
and other runtime images created by jlink should have jrt-fs.jar so that
they can be targeted by tools (`javac -system ...` for example). This is
something that needs to be examined soon. I assume you don't have any
issues with the JDK download as it has jrt-fs.jar and so Eclipse running
on JDK 8 or JDK 9 should not have any issues targeting a JDK 9 build -
is that right?