#ModuleAnnotations - Rethinking scope of ElementType.MODULE

Paul Benedict pbenedict at apache.org
Fri Jul 8 14:38:47 UTC 2016

I am wondering if the addition of ElementType.MODULE should be rethought.
When an annotation is applied to PACKAGE, it applies package-wide (and thus
affecting things inside it too). For example, I can put a JAXB
@XmlSchemaType annotation on a package to affect the way classes inside the
package are mapped.

However, the way annotations are being implemented on MODULE, if applies
just to that file -- not the entire module. But what if in the future there
is an RFE for annotations to apply to the entire module? Has it already
been decided that feature has no use cases? I think some pause should be
given here before this feature is taken away.

Cheers,
Paul