Ever a Windows ZIP to install?

dalibor topic dalibor.topic at oracle.com
Tue Jul 12 11:46:36 UTC 2016

On 11.07.2016 18:09, Paul Benedict wrote:
> Hi Dailbor,
>
> For Windows, I know the JDK only comes as a Windows Installer, but is
> their a reason that the JDK cannot be downloaded as a ZIP file?

Hi Paul,

Assuming that you're asking about the Oracle JDK, typically the reason
is that it's not currently being provided in that particular format.

While I don't think that it makes much sense to discuss Oracle JDK on
OpenJDK lists, as this thread sadly seems to have gone on for quite a
bit, I'll reply here on list once, but I'll ask you to please direct any
follow up to me directly to avoid prolonging an off-topic thread on this
list.

Currently, on the JRE side, the Oracle Server JRE and Oracle JRE are, in
addition to Microsoft Windows offline and online installers, also being
made available as tar.gz files [0][1]. Oracle additionally provides an
MSI Enterprise JRE Installer for Oracle Java SE Advanced or Oracle Java
SE Suite customers via the My Oracle Support (MOS) site. [2]

On the Oracle JDK side, the Oracle JDK is currently provided through an
offline Microsoft Windows installer. As far as providing it in
alternative formats on Microsoft Windows goes, please see
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8145527 .

As far as the burden of running the Oracle JDK installer goes, keep in
mind that it can be installed silently in a user chosen location, as
described in [3].

cheers,
dalibor topic

[0]
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/server-jre8-downloads-2133154.html
[1]
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html
[2]
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaseproducts/overview/index.html
[3]
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/install/windows_jdk_install.html#CHDHHBDD
--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment