It's not too late for access control

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Jul 14 12:12:59 UTC 2016

On 14/07/2016 12:37, Robert Muir wrote:
> :
> Java 9 breaks log4j 1.2.x out of box. Think about how widely used that
> one is! And its no longer maintained!
>
> Sure, its only if you use MDC, and its not even Jigsaw that does it
> (relates to version changes). See
> https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/blob/f01f15d3b8592db4210f725f0c37baff4a554a35/core/src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/Java9Hack.java
> if you want a hack.
>
> Its just an example of how much software won't work with java 9 out of
> box. Still looking forward to it!
Yeah, changing the version-string scheme, particularly dropping the
leading `1.` has impacted a lot of libraries. Every effort was made to
communicate that change and has all the others with significant
compatibility impact. I would hope that most libraries that need update
will be updated by the time that JDK 9 ships. Good point on unmaintained
libraries.