Disallowing the dynamic loading of agents by default

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon Apr 3 12:23:17 UTC 2017

On 03/04/2017 07:28, Christoph Engelbert wrote:

> Hi Mark, hi others,
>
> First of all, I understand the idea behind this change and I think it certainly makes sense but from my impression the default is wrong, as Volker already pointed out.
>
> Over the last few days I (with the help of others) put together a document (https://docs.google.com/document/d/19H1iGUnyI4Y40U5sNVAmH0uLxcpNfYSjPIW3s0Rv5Ss/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/19H1iGUnyI4Y40U5sNVAmH0uLxcpNfYSjPIW3s0Rv5Ss/edit?usp=sharing>) to see wich tools are affected by this change.
A survey of the agents that support being loaded into a running VM is
useful but I think would be more useful if it were expanded to capture:

1. Whether the agent depends on instrumentation of classes in core
modules (java.base in particular).

2. Whether the agent is deployed as a library that load an agent into
the current VM.

The combination of #1 and #2 is the problem in the cross-hairs. There
isn't any desire to disrupt out of process tools that load
instrumentation agents into a target VM.

-Alan.