Disallowing the dynamic loading of agents by default

Gregg Wonderly greggwon at cox.net
Tue Apr 4 14:58:46 UTC 2017

Alan said:

> The issue here is nothing to do with the security manager, assume no security manager in the picture.

But, I always have a security manager in the picture.  It’s how I always grant access to various pieces of the JDK features to my application.  It’s how I limit/grant access to the details that I care about my users being exposed to by using my software.  So, saying that a SecurityManager doesn’t matter, when this is clearly a JVM security issue, just doesn’t fly for me.   As I’ve already said, a command line argument can feel like a permission, but it is like AllPermission.  It doesn’t help me manage what I am opening my users to.  If I have to use the AllPermission for my users to deploy, and they are on a network, I’ve now opened them up to network penetration by other agents!  That’s absolutely not acceptable to me.

There should be a Permission mechanism at a high granularity of control, and grants to Jar files (which have been mentioned in another recent thread dealing with which modules can have agents inserted/active) make it possible to directly control all exposure from all paths of penetration.

Gregg