SecurityManager environments

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Apr 6 07:07:53 UTC 2017

On 05/04/2017 20:53, Reto Merz wrote:

> >> To be honest, we don't see a lot of security manager
> >> usage on the server side these days.
>
> I'm really surprised about that. How can a app server or servlet container
> like JBoss Tomcat etc guarantee that System.exit does not shut down
> the JVM?
AFAIK the app servers have to provide a way to run with a security
manager but I don't know how many app server run it by default.

The System.exit example is a good example that has come up a few times.
There is at least one IDE that used to run with a SM so that it could
block plugins from calling System.exit. That use case is one that
probably needs a specific API.