Intended usage of `java --dry-run`?

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Apr 11 15:00:04 UTC 2017

On 11/04/2017 15:36, Andrew Guibert wrote:

> :
>
> Based on these three use cases, either I'm using --dry-run incorrectly
> (which isn't obvious if I am) or --dry-run is simply a placebo option.  My
> main point of confusion comes from (what I believe to be) correct usage of
> --dry-run printing out usage info.
I assume the reason that your examples print the usage message is
because you haven't specified the main class (or `-jar` or `-m`).

If you try an example such as `java --dry-run  -p <dir> -m <module>` it
will load the main class from the initial module and exit at that point
without invoking the main method.