Issue with JavaFX and Jigsaw

Alex Buckley alex.buckley at oracle.com
Mon Apr 17 18:58:52 UTC 2017

On 4/10/2017 3:56 PM, Kevin Rushforth wrote:
> The short version is that JavaFX beans is (mostly) working as expected,
> except for the misleading exception message. In JDK 9 it is required
> that any object that is reflected on by JavaFX beans, specifically the
> items passed to TableView, which are accessed via a
> PropertyValueFactory, will need to be in a package that is exported
> unconditionally. In JDK 10 we can look into relaxing this requirement
> such that the package only needs to be exported to javafx.beans.

"exported unconditionally" -- sorry to be picky but this guidance needs
to be a bit tighter. Can't the user export to a (possibly large) set of
javaxfx.* modules, rather than unconditionally? Is it OK to _export_ the
package (rather than open it) because beans will access only its public
types/members? What if the user opens the package anyway (rather than
exports it)? I don't know the relationship between the
PropertyValueFactory type and the type of the items passed to TableView,
but I think the high-level requirement is: some user type must be
accessible to JavaFX code, and that is achieved by exporting or opening
the type's package to at least the javafx.* modules.

Alex