Alternatives for naming automatic modules, and a proposal (#AutomaticModuleNames)

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Apr 25 13:31:12 UTC 2017

On 25/04/2017 14:16, Michael Nascimento wrote:

> :
> and also the fact
> packages must be defined by a single module even if they are not exported,
> because it was considered nearly impossible to track in real world
> scenarios.

Keep in mind that this is not a module system limitation, instead it is
just a consequence of defining all modules on the application module
path to the application class loader. Containers or applications using
the API doing dynamic configurations and creating module layers can put
modules in their own namespace to avoid conflicts between concealed
packages.

Someday then we might get to the point where modules on the application
module path could be assigned to different class loaders but it has huge
implications and would take an entire release to shake out issues.

BTW: The reasons why there are conflicts between concealed packages is a
good discussion point for another thread.