java.lang.management.RuntimeMXBean not module aware

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 08:32:03 UTC 2017

Hi,

java.lang.management.RuntimeMXBean offers methods like getClassPath(),
getLibraryPath() and even getBootClassPath() if
isBootClassPathSupported() returns true. While
isBootClassPathSupported() has been changed in jdk9 to always return
false (although the VM still supports -Xbootclasspath/a) no additional
methods have been added to RuntimeMXBean to query the new module path.

Is this intentional? I think RuntimeMXBean should contain at least a
new method getModulePath() wich returns the VMs module path. Looking
at the latest spec [1] I couldn't find such an addition. Will this be
added in the final version or are there some reasons against having
getModulePath() in RuntimeMXBean?

Exposing further information trough RuntimeMXBean like the one
provided by the --upgrade-module-path, --add-modules, --limit-modules,
--list-modules could be interesting/useful as well.

Thank you and best regards,
Volker

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mr/jigsaw/spec/