Instrumentation.redefineModule -- extraPackages argument?

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Sat Mar 11 09:51:50 UTC 2017

On 10/03/2017 16:12, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> :
>
> It might not be the most common scenario, but creating new packages during
> development is definitely not uncommon, and from my experience with JRebel
> and our customers, I can also say that we do see these kind of changes.
> So, if the JVM can automatically do it for unnamed modules, why is this not
> a supported redefinition for (named) modules?

If a module is in development or is being significantly refactored to
add/move code to non-exported packages then it really needs to be
re-loaded (in this design then this means re-instantiating a new module
layer, not specific modules).  So no support for dynamically evolving a
module, at least not beyond the basic extending of
readability/exports/etc. that might be needed by tools doing
instrumentation. Ditto for code in the module as there is no support for
arbitrary class evolution.

-Alan.