Instrumentation.redefineModule -- extraPackages argument?

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 11:43:07 UTC 2017

On 03/11/2017 12:13 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 11/03/2017 10:50, Jochen Theodorou wrote:

>>> If a module is in development or is being significantly refactored to
>>> add/move code to non-exported packages then it really needs to be
>>> re-loaded (in this design then this means re-instantiating a new module
>>> layer, not specific modules).
>>
>> reloading means the classes will be loaded into a new classloader?
>> Don´t you think that is overkill for just adding a class in a not yet
>> existing package - something that was very easy before? I guess you
>> could always load the new class in the new package into dynamically
>> created layer. But frankly, that is a new class loader, that requires
>> you setting relations between layers and all that.
> It doesn't having to be a new/different class loader, there is no
> issue creating layers of modules where the modules are defined to the
> same class loader as modules in other layers.

...but then those Module(s) in the new Layer are reachable from
Class(es) defined in them and those Class(es) are reachable from the
common ClassLoader (ClassLoader.classes Vector). Until all classes
defined by the ClassLoader (from various Layer(s)) become unreachable,
none of the Layer(s) can be unloaded.

Am I right? Is package-private ClassLoader.addClass(Class) invoked by VM
to record every loaded class or just every class loaded into unnamed module?

Regards, Peter