#VersionsInModuleNames

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Mar 15 18:12:59 UTC 2017

On 15 March 2017 at 17:47, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
> This is the consumer choosing a module name for a library that they don't
> maintain and renaming that library to match (you are writing the `requires
> X` before X exists). All I'm saying is that the library maintainer should be
> the one that chooses the module name. In its absence then deriving the name
> from from the library gives you a stable name in the short term.

I agree that the library maintainer should choose the module name, but
automatic modules will pretty much force consumers to do so, maing a
mess. The proposal above is for the case where person A has randomly
picked a modue name for a module that is not yet modularized, and
person B has to do something to comply. The proposal simply suggests
that the JPMS should not coonvert filename "bar-1.2.jar" to module
name "bar" - the developer should do this instead by renaming the
file.

Anyway, I'll write up more on how to avoid automatic modules in another thread.
Stephen