ALL-UNNAMED module does not export all packages from classpath

Pavel Bucek pavel.bucek at oracle.com
Mon Mar 20 22:19:49 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,

The usecase is about compiling tests in maven projects.

I mirrored the content of the zip to github:
https://github.com/pavelbucek/reproducer (project contains useful README)

The TestCase.java [1] contains simple testcase, compilable when
everything is on the classpath.

When module-info.java is added to the standard sources of a maven
module, the compilation changes from "put everything on classpath" to
"put test dependencies on classpath, standard dependencies on module
path", which results in:

javac -d target/test-classes -classpath
lib/junit-4.12.jar:lib/hamcrest-core-1.3.jar:lib/mockito-core-2.7.17.jar:lib/byte-buddy-1.6.11.jar:lib/byte-buddy-agent-1.6.11.jar:lib/objenesis-2.5.jar
--module-path target/classes -target 9 -source 9 -Xmodule:tst
--add-reads tst=ALL-UNNAMED src/test/java/tst/TestCase.java

Test classes are effectively "patched" into main module (here called
"tst") and the module requires "ALL-UNNAMED", to be able to use test
dependencies.

I'm not sure about exact cause, but seems like the ALL-UNNAMED module
doesn't automatically export all packages, only those which were
analyzed as required by some other module.

When TestCase.java doesn't "import
org.mockito.stubbing.OngoingStubbing", classpath compilation is ok,
since we are not using that type directly. But it is part of the fluent
builder pattern, used on line 18 [2]. If there is a mechanism which
decides which package is required, it omitted the return type of called
"when" method, which caused the error. When the package is explicitly
imported, the error is gone and compilation proceeds as expected.

Regards,
Pavel

[1]
https://github.com/pavelbucek/reproducer/blob/master/src/test/java/tst/TestCase.java