Better tools for adjusting to strong encapsulation

Roel Spilker r.spilker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 10:28:16 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 3:48 PM, <mark.reinhold at oracle.com> wrote:

> When an illegal reflective access operation succeeds due to the use of
> the `--permit-illegal-access` option, or the use of an `--add-opens` or
> `--add-exports` option, then a warning message of the following form is
> written to the error stream:
>
>     WARNING: Illegal access by $PERPETRATOR to $VICTIM (permitted by
> $OPTION)

Hi Mark, others,

I really appreciate the work you do on helping developers to migrate their
code to the module system. I already use the messages in the exceptions to
solve problems successfully.

That said, I consider the output of my programs (the exit code, the output
stream, and the error stream) to be part of my public API. I consider extra
output, that is added to those streams outside my control, a breaking
change. Depending on my program flow and data in my program, these messages
appear in the middle of my output.

This is especially a problem because the users of my program cannot do
anything themselves to get rid of it. In my opinion, they should not be
bothered by messages intended for the developer.

Since this is a tool to help developers, can you either make it an opt-in
or at least an opt-out feature?

Kind regards,

Roel Spilker