Better tools for adjusting to strong encapsulation

Jochen Theodorou blackdrag at gmx.org
Thu Mar 23 08:31:49 UTC 2017

On 23.03.2017 01:16, Claes Redestad wrote:
[...]
>> the warnings you are seeing are from the groovy runtime trying to
>> determine - in a pre JDK9 compatible way - if it is allowed to call the
>> methods on Objecz. This happens in a first step by setAccessible on all
>> methods using the array version, and if that fails by using the normal
>> setAccessible on each method (which will contribute to much longer
>> startup times). At no point our runtime or the program you wrote are
>> trying to call finalize, clone or registerNatives.
>
> For determining capabilities in this manner it might be possible to
> use the new AccessibleObject.canAccess[1], which should avoid any
> warnings?
>
> /Claes
>
> [1]
> http://download.java.net/java/jdk9/docs/api/java/lang/reflect/AccessibleObject.html#canAccess-java.lang.Object-

I guess so. I mean normally we request that you open up the Objects to
the runtime and the runtime then decides by itself if class X has access
to class Y via runtime. canAccess will avoid the warnings, and
completely avoid them I think for the case of everything being on the
classpath. It will not avoid the add-opens required for the runtime to
access objects from class X in module M to class Y in the same Module
via Groovy runtime. Because even if we use MethodHandles, the handle is
still produced from a Method object in reflection and that will mean we
still require the runtime accessing this.

And actually I don't think we can exclude the reflective part, because
we have to do runtime method selection. We cannot query for a method
directly, we have to query for all methods of a certain name, which is
impossible, so we have to take a look at all methods of a class. And I
mean independent of the accessibility modifier.

So does canAccess help? Yes, in the classpath scenario, not in the
module scenario. But at least that scenario is currently not likely

bye Jochen