Review Request: JDK-8173303: Add module-subgraph images to main platform documentation

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Fri Mar 24 08:37:39 UTC 2017

On 23/03/2017 23:55, Mandy Chung wrote:

> Jon and I work on this patch as the first step to enable module
> graphs for inclusion in the javadoc.  It includes a @moduleGraph
> taglet, an updated GenGraphs tool, and also updates javadoc of
> module-info.java to include @moduleGraph.  I also take the
> opportunity to add simple javadoc to a few JDK modules preparing
> for JEP 299 that will generate module summary page for JDK modules.

I realize this isn't the main focus of this (nice) update but I think
we'll need to update some of the initial module descriptions:

jdk.httpserver - should be "Defines the JDK-specific ...". The "the"
will make it more consistent with the wording in the standard modules.

jdk.jartool - maybe should this say "The jar and jarsigner tools" ?

jdk.jcmd - this currently has "Diagnostic Command Tool" but it is
actually several tools. Maybe it could be "The jcmd and other
diagnostics tools"?

jdk.jconsole - Should "JConsole" be expanded to say something about
monitoring and management?

jdk.jlink - it might be useful to include "jlink" in the description too.

jdk.jsobject - should be "Defines the API for the ..."

jdk.management.agent - Should we try to get "JMX" into the description.

jdk.net and jdk.sctp - should be "Defines the JDK-specific ..."

jdk.localedata and jdk.charsets and very important modules to understand
when creating a custom run-time image. For jdk.localedata then we should
expand it to say "Locale data provider for locales other than Locale.US".