Progress report on SLF4J project modularization

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Sat Mar 25 20:32:18 UTC 2017

Robert,
they are two ways to compile a project with a version which is not java 9, let say 8 and a module-info with java 9.

Either, like the Maven compiler plugin, you compile twice the source, once with java 9 and once with java 8 excluding the module-info.java,
or you compile once with java 8 excluding the module-info and you then compile only the module-info.java with java 9 (it's what Ceki has used).

The later solution is usually faster and avoid subtle bugs like if between java x and java 9, the code of javac changes the way a synthetic class is named (you will have the two versions with the compiler plugin).

cheers,
Rémi