8178380: Module system implementation refresh (5/2017 update)

stanislav lukyanov stanislav.lukyanov at oracle.com
Tue May 2 19:21:25 UTC 2017

Hi Alan,

In the Launcher-Agent-Class, would it make sense to use 'premain'
instead of 'agentmain'
to align it with Premain-Class rather than with Agent-Class?
(maybe even rename Launcher-Agent-Class to Launcher-Premain-Class?)

AFAIU Launcher-Agent-Class is meant to replace a particular use case of
self-attach in applications - hence the 'agentmain'.
But on the other hand, it is essentially a "shortcut" for '-jar app.jar
-javaagent:app.jar', so 'premain' might as well be expected to be used
(especially by a new user).

Also Launcher-Agent-Class is invoked before the application, like
Premain-Class and unlike Agent-Class,
and some agents out there might use the entry method (premain or
agentmain declared by the same class) to determine how they were invoked.
It will not be possible if 'agentmain' can be invoked both before and
after 'main'
(using different classes for Premain-Class, Agent-Class and
Launcher-Agent-Class will still work though).

Thanks,
Stas