Revised proposal for #AutomaticModuleNames

Brian Fox brianf at infinity.nu
Fri May 5 00:58:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:39 PM, <mark.reinhold at oracle.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone, and especially Stephen Colebourne, Brian Fox, and
> Robert Scholte, for the extensive feedback.
>
>   http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-experts/
> 2017-May/000687.html
>
> TL;DR: Keep automatic modules, bring back the module-name JAR-file
> manifest attribute, and strongly recommend reverse-DNS module names.

Comments?

I think this is a tremendous development that will allow a path towards
modularization and away from potential fragmentation of the Java ecosystem.
Thank you for continuing to consider our feedback after what I'm sure has
been a long slog to get this JSR over the finish line with a billion small
sheds painted many colors.