Need help implementing Java modules

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Tue May 9 22:04:51 UTC 2017

> On May 9, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag at gmx.org> wrote:
>
> On 09.05.2017 20:51, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> We also noticed that System.LoggerFinder [1] now provides a new way
>> to integrate an external logging framework with Java. If Log4j
>> creates the service provider for that how will that not cause a
>> runtime circularity since java.base now is bound to log4j-api and/or
>> log4j-core and both of those require java.base.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> 1.
>> http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.3/topical/html/logging/Logging.html <http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.3/topical/html/logging/Logging.html>
>> <http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.3/topical/html/logging/Logging.html <http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.3/topical/html/logging/Logging.html>>
>
> SPI again. Since Log4j depends on java.base for compilation, but java.base does still compile without log4j-api or -core it is not a circular dependency.
>
> bye Jochen

Pardon me for being dense, but my reading said that Java modules disallowed runtime cycles as well as compile time. Once LoggerFinder binds with the module that provides that service does that not create a runtime dependency?  I don’t recall seeing anything describing what the behavior of that is.

Ralph