Attaching to a JVM image that does not include java.instrument

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu May 18 15:19:11 UTC 2017

On 18/05/2017 15:20, Rafael Winterhalter wrote:

> Hei,
>
> I found that it is impossible to dynamically attach to a JVM that does not
> include the java.instrument module when built with jlink. This is a result
> of the instrumentation API and its infrastructure missing from the image.
>
> rafael at rafc:~/jdk9-test/greetingsapp$ ./bin/java
> -javaagent:/home/rafael/.m2/repository/sample-agent/sample-agent/1.0-SNAPSHOT/sample-agent-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
> -m com.greetings/com.greetings.Main
>
> Could not find agent library instrument on the library path, with error:
> libinstrument.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Ugh, when -javaagent is specified then it is supposed to work as if
`--add-modules java.instrument` is also on the command line. This
ensures that the java.instrument module is resolved. The intention was
also to get a useful error if the run-time image doesn't contain
java.instrument.

Another example is `-Dcom.sun.management.*` which should work as if
`--add-modules jdk.management.agent` is specified on the command line.
Also `-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+EnableJVMCI` which is
supposed to add `--add-modules jdk.internal.vm.ci`. I just checked both
of these and the error is helpful as I expected.

As regards the attach mechanism then it will work when it is compiled in
and enabled in the target VM. When I say "compiled in" then I mean the
support is in libjvm. When using jlink when you can select the minimal
VM to get a much smaller VM that doesn't have the serviceability
features. That won't be typical of course so assume it is libjvm then
you should be able to attach and troubleshooting tools such as `jcmd`
will work. If you attempt to load a java agent then the target VM will
attempt to resolve and load the java.instrument module and so will fail
if the run-time image doesn't have the module.

You are right that java.instrument is small but it's always been a goal
to be able to create run-time images that only contain java.base.

I didn't understand your comment about an "unused warnings" in the IDE.
Do you mean `requires java.instrument` rather than specifying
java.instrument to the `jlink --add-modules` option?