Proposal: Allow illegal reflective access by default in JDK 9

Nicolai Parlog nipa at codefx.org
Fri May 19 13:39:36 UTC 2017

 Hi,

I don't want to pick on Andrew in particular but his paragraph is a
great summary of the sad state of this discussion:

> I don't think that's practical

Interesting, waiting for a real, practical, technical reason not to do that.

> many worried expressions

Err, what? So something is impractical because people are worried? I'm
sure they're worried because they think it's impractical.

> code that works on JDK 8 today will not work on JDK 9 tomorrow,
> yet no advance warning of this change was given in JDK 8

So twenty years of claiming internal APIs are internal and subject to
change[1] was not enough? Two years of this change being announced was
no enough? One more year of Java 8 is not enough? A simple flag to make
it work is not enough?

 so long ... Nicolai

[1]
http://web.archive.org/web/19980215011039/http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/faq/faq-sun-packages.html

--

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx