Review Request: JDK-8181033: Confusing message: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu May 25 07:00:57 UTC 2017

Hi Mandy

On 25/05/2017 8:10 AM, Mandy Chung wrote:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8181033/webrev.00/
>
> This fixes the launcher to print the exception being thrown rather than
> the confusing message "Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check
> your installation and try again”.  A few attempts to improve this to
> catch ClassNotFoundException and LinkageError.  This catches other cases.

Based on the exception stack that Volker reported this looks fine - it
catches the unexpected exceptions encountered during getMethod() and
reports them.

One thing that confuses me though, is that Volker reported the problem
as occurring due to verification - and he showed some VM log output to
support that. But verification happens when the main class is loaded!
The exception trace shows code that executes well after loading time. ??

Thanks,
David