Avoiding sun.misc.Unsafe and embracing modules in Java libraries: missing links

Henri Tremblay henri.tremblay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:26:29 UTC 2018

Hi Rafael,

I don't like the idea to have to explicitly load a module to create mocks.

Because Unsafe.allocateInstance is of course used to create mock but also
proxies. For instance, Spring uses it extensively through Objenesis. And
different frameworks doing serialization.

Also, It means Gradle and Maven would need to be updated to load the module
automatically in test context. And all IDE. A lot of annoyance for not much
benefit since everybody is currently happy.

I've been advocating that if creating a class without calling a constructor
is useless in multiple contexts, it should be easily available through the
API. I don't know exactly where to put it but it should be

   - Available to all (java.base)
   - Protected by the security manager

For completeness, there are 4 ways to create a class without calling a
constructor right now that I'm aware of:

   - Unsafe.allocateInstance
   - sun.reflect.ReflectionFactory.newConstructorForSerialization (my
   favorite because it's the fastest one)
   - Generate an extending class forgetting to call the super constructor
   (so it's not exactly that same class that is instantiated). It requires
   -Xverify:none
   - Generate a class extending MagicAccessorImpl that will then
   instantiates the wanted class but calling the wrong constructor

Regards,
Henri