RFR JMC-6075: Avoid conversion for RECORDING_SETTING event from JDK9/10 in SettingsTransformer

Jayathirth D V jayathirth.d.v at oracle.com
Sat Jul 21 08:50:24 UTC 2018

Hi Sharath,

Thanks for your inputs.

The needTransform() logic that was present was not differentiating between JDK7/8 & JDK 9/10 events. It has the logic to differentiate between JDK7/8/9/10 & JDK 11 events.
public static boolean needTransform(String typeId) {
                 if (typeId.startsWith(PREFIX)) {
                         return false;
                 }
                 return typeId.startsWith(EVENT_ID_ROOT) || typeId.startsWith(PREFIX_9_10);
         }

So needTransform variable previously present for validating SettingTransformer object was not differentiating SettingsTransformer created between JDK7/8 & JDK9/10.
Even when we use needTransform variable, If we get JDK 7/8 events and st.isValidV1() returns true we will still use the invalid SettingsTransformer object.

That said, we should have tighter checks for validating SettingsTransformer object differently between JDK 7/8 & JDK 9/10. So I have added new checks before we return SettingsTransformer object.

Please find updated webrev for review:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jdv/6075/webrev.01/

No unit test failures with latest code. There are no differences in Automated analysis results too.

Thanks,
Jay