RFR: 8185525: [Event Request] Add Tracing event for DictionarySizes

Erik Gahlin erik.gahlin at oracle.com
Fri Apr 12 17:45:34 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-10 22:03, gerard ziemski wrote:

>>> Good observation. If the resize lock is taken, then it's not likely
>>> that whoever owns it will be done soon, so retrying is most likely
>>> not going to succeed right away. Is it OK to tie up JFR periodic
>>> thread for some time? If so, how long?
There is no general upper limit for periodic events.

If we need to wait for a safepoint, we need to do it. That said, events
that can induce significant latencies or CPU overhead (even in
pathological cases) are off in default.jfc and only enabled in
profile.jfr, or not at all.

As I understand it, the events themselves don't cause latencies and the
tables are not expanded that often, so I think it would be okay to emit
them.  If you think otherwise, I would try to scan concurrently, even if
it means we are slightly off.

>>> If the lock is taken, then it means that someone is scanning through
>>> the entire table, or the table is being resized. Either way, we're
>>> not loosing data, but are just temporarily blind - I don't see a
>>> problem here for a long running apps, they will start receiving
>>> events eventually (which happen every 10 sec by default)
A user can set period "everyChunk" which means events are guaranteed to
be in the recording.

I think we should try to avoid breaking that contract. When event
streaming is in place, we can implement requestable events where a user
can demand an event programmatically from Java. If they sometimes don't
get an event, it will break their code in a subtle way.

Thanks
Erik