IRC channel SPAM

Marcus Hirt marcus.hirt at oracle.com
Thu Feb 7 20:26:23 UTC 2019

Hi all,

After helping Yashi to join the IRC channel, I jotted down
some notes on how to join the channel here:
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/jmc/Joining+the+JMC+IRC

Kind regards,
Marcus

On 2018-10-30, 18:29, "jmc-dev on behalf of Mario Torre" <jmc-dev-bounces at openjdk.java.net on behalf of neugens at redhat.com> wrote:

    Hello all,

    Given the amount of disturbing spam we are receiving we are thinking to
    close the channel to registered users only.

    We are in contact with the OFTC polizei, so we may not do that if we
    getsee a reduction in spam, however we think is a good idea to keep
    nicks registered nonetheless.

    We'll make a decision in about one week, for now, here are some useful
    instructions to register your nicks.

    If you use Matrix:

    1. From Matrix, /msg NickServ register [password] [email]
    2. Go to https://services.oftc.net/ and login with [nick] as
    username, and the password you used in step 1, then go to Account ->
    Verify and complete the captcha
    3. Back on Matrix, /msg NickServ checkverify
    4. /msg NickServ link [nick] [password]

    If you use xchat or hexchat:

    /msg NickServ register [password] [email]
    /msg NickServ IDENTIFY [password]

    This should make you a registered user and able to use the channel.

    As said, we won't be making it +R just yet, but it's recommended you
    keep the nicks registered.

    Cheers,
    Mario
    --