Supported Eclipse versions in JMC 7.1.0.

Mario Torre neugens at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 12:46:53 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-02-25 at 17:46 +0100, Marcus Hirt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is all under the assumption that we want to use the latest and
> greatest
> Eclipse platform when shipping a new stand-alone version of JMC. I
> think we
> want to; I already know fixes in 4.10 that we'd want.

I know Eclipse is now all about fast releases, and the world in general
seems crazy about this, but for packaging it's really difficult to keep
up when release move too fast.

I think we should try to set a pace for releases so we know what we
need to do when and what to expect, in other words fix on a specific
version fo Eclipse (which is the base version, doesn't mean it's the
only one that works) and ensure things work in that version until a
major release ship (7.x then 8.x). I'm ok if this means some downstream
decides to build with a different version of Eclipse (maybe the
latest), but upstream should have a minimum requirement that is stable
across all the minor release train.

I thererefore would like to keep the current version of Eclipse (I
think it's Photon?) as the minimum supported unless there's a *very*
compelling reason not to.

Cheers,
Mario
--