[jmm-dev] [concurrency-interest] Will the real memory read barrier please stand up?

Stephan Diestelhorst stephan.diestelhorst at arm.com
Mon Nov 24 15:15:26 UTC 2014

On Monday 24 November 2014 09:33:23 Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 24/11/14 00:09, Doug Lea wrote:
> >
> > Mainly out of conservatism given the history of revising ARM and
> > POWER entries multiple times over the years, sometimes based on
> > incomplete or wrong information. It seems worth waiting for multiple
> > validations, including experience from the ARMv8 hotspot port. This
> > is cruel to Andrew (sorry!) but still better than alternatives.

> >> Yes, it looks like the DMB LD is now stronger if, that page is right.
> >>
> >> It'd be nice if someone could point me at the language in the
> >> ARMv8 spec that this derives from.
[..]
> > I'm hoping that someone from ARM answers this.

The usual thing about the group constructions applies with added type
restrictions.

_Shareability and access limitations on the data barrier operations_
The DMB and DSB instructions can each take an optional limitation
argument that specifies:
* The shareability domain over which the instruction must operate. This
  is one of:
  - Full system.
  - Outer Shareable.
  - Inner Shareable.
  - Non-shareable.

* The accesses for which the instruction operates. This is one of:
  - Read and write accesses in Group A and Group B.
  - Write accesses only in Group A and Group B.
  - Read access only in Group A and read and write accesses in Group B.
  Note: This is occasionally referred to as a Load-Load/Store barrier.

> I have communicated with ARM and (although it is implied in the the
> ARMv8 Architecture Reference Manual in a roundabout way) they have
> raised a ticket for clarification in a future update.

Not sure if this is already what you had in mind or whether this is the
"roundabout way", please let me know.  The only issue I have had with
this is that the clarification for the restricted type happens pretty
late. Until then one (I!) too assumed it would only be loads (due to the
name / mnemonic type being "LD").

> They agree that Load-Load|Load-Store is correct.

Yes.

> In the meantime, there is a table of memory barriers on Page 105 of
> the ARMv8 Instruction Set Overview which states this explicitly.

Indeed.

--
Sincerely,
  Stephan

Stephan Diestelhorst
Staff Engineer,
ARM R&D Systems
+44 (0)1223 405662

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2548782