[jmm-dev] Another way to punt OOTA

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Thu Oct 30 15:55:20 UTC 2014

Yeah, makes me nervous too.  I understand Google has made its peace with
this security approach, and I don't disagree that it has considerable
merit, but I also don't think Oracle is ready to take that plunge yet.
So, while I think its good to toss out the crazy ideas because sometimes
something really good comes out of that, I'm skeptical that an approach
that rests on these assumptions could make it all the way across the
finish line.

But, while on the topic of security, we do have an interest in
strengthening various integrity constraints.  Specifically, the
non-finality of final fields is a persistent irritant, and we would like
to get to an initialization model that meets the extended use cases
(e.g., dependency injection, deserialization of objects with final
fields) while strengthening the promises of "final means final."  (See
John Rose's blog entry on larval objects for a hint about the direction
we've got in mind.)