[jmm-dev] jdk9 APIs

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Fri Aug 14 17:57:41 UTC 2015

On 08/14/2015 11:36 AM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> Well, if you change your mind about being consumed by analogs of consume,
> please see the attached revision of C++ working draft N4321.  ;-)

Thanks.

My proposal to just introduce loadLoadFence(ref) (which further
simplifies VarHandle.getDependently(ref)) was based in part
on Section 3 (of the last version of N4321 I'd seen), that
mentions and dismisses the idea of forcing layer-by-layer
use of something similar in extended dependency chains.
Without an OS kernel full of prior users/code to deal
with, this seems to minimally suffice. Especially since in
Java, programmers are more willing to use tools that might help
automate tiered fence placement. Yes?

-Doug