Isolating tests from general concurrency

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Tue Mar 19 19:56:00 UTC 2019

On 3/19/19 12:03 PM, Gary Adams wrote:
> A recent question came up about how the exclusiveAccess.dirs property
> was being used to
> prevent concurrent tests from using some critical resource. It appears
> that some of
> the hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase tests were setting the property assuming
> they would get
> a concurrency=1 type of behavior.
>
> I'd like to start the discussion about how the current feature works
> and see
> if a new feature might be appropriate for other related use cases.
The feature was originally created for tests that needed exclusive
access to specific system
resources: specifically, fixed ports in RMI/networking tests. To some
extent, it was a quick
stop-gap measure, to avoid having to rewrite those tests in short order
to use dynamically
allocated ports.

The need for "concurrency=1" behavior is new/different. Previously, all
tests wanting
exclusive access had to opt-in to the feature.  To support
"concurrency=1", there's an
implicit need to check any interlock on all tests that don't request
"concurrency=1".

-- Jon